Monday, December 22, 2008

Chicago last day

Woke to one of the coldest days I have personally experienced...It snowed all day Saturday and then, as the front passed through, OH MY. It was -6 plus wind chill. Dang. I tried to walk around...went to the miracle mile:

From Chicago 08


but it was just too cold...my exposed face felt like it was going to melt off...and even though I had a greatcoat on, I had to get inside routinely.

Finally decided to spend my last few hours at the Field Museum:


At the Field, there was an exhibit of "Aztec Americas" showing ceremonial and daily items used by Pre-Columbian Aztec peoples in the precursor to Mexico City. these were so interesting. Look at some:

From Chicago 08
(God of the underworld)...


From Chicago 08
Jar for Human hearts...

Ceremonial "beer stine" held a brew made from the Maguey plant:
From Chicago 08


And look at this (couldn't this pass for very modern art?):
From Chicago 08


(images are taken without flash in the Field Museum collection; used not by permission

No comments: