Saturday, February 7, 2009

San Joaquin Valley jazz festival

I think, in fact, that Mr. Lucckesi has a golden touch. My jazz ensemble has just returned from performing at the festival, held at Buchanan High in Clovis, Ca. I am proud of my kids, and especially proud and fortunate to have such a friend and colleague as Paul. His band sounds great, but his achievements in bringing a musician the quality of David Binney to our neck of the planet...THAT is a great job for a jazz educator.

At Mr. Binney's concert last night, I looked down the line of the nine students I brought with me to the concert and knew, all over again, why we can NEVER let music education be "cut" out of their experience. Which of those kids would have been there to be perhaps changed forever if it was not for their school band program?

And oh, that music. I've been trying to put it into words, but as usual, words fail. i think, if you have any kind of appreciation for music as art or as an energy exchange, you owe it to yourself to go to this website: http://www.davidbinney.com/ and check it for yourself. Like no other.

In closing, thanks Paul and all your volunteers for a GREAT night of jazz and camraderie. It's what our chosen art form should be all about, and what a "festival" really should be all about too.

No comments: